Through Confirmation We Become Witnesses
Confirmation celebrates the presence of God’s grace in the Baptized and helps us to live our faith as witnesses of Christ to the world as we fulfill our Christian responsibilities to our families, church community, and the world at large. It is the final sacrament of Initiation (along with Baptism & Eucharist) and like Baptism, confers a sacramental character that changes us once and for all. Thus it can also be received only once. Through Confirmation, we become witnesses to the mission of Christ and receive the obligation to continue his mission to transform the world by word and deed, to serve others in love, and to care for the world given to us in creation. The Religious Education Office and St. James the Apostle Catholic School provide formation for our students to help them prepare to receive the Sacrament.
To receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, each student must attend the two year formation program, which typically begins in 7th grade. Each student MUST also meet the following mandatory requirements:
- Provide documented Baptism in the Catholic Church
- Reception of the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and Eucharist
First Year: Foundations of Confirmation
- 7th Grade Students and parent attend the Formation Meeting where time will be spent explaining the Sacrament of Confirmation, service opportunities and program expectations (more information can be found below under Useful Forms)
- Complete service projects for both years of formation (more information can be found below under Useful Forms)
Second Year: Confirmation Formation
- Must satisfactorily complete the two year formation program
- Choose a Confirmed Catholic as their sponsor (more information can be found below under Useful Forms).
- Provide a signed/sealed Confirmation Eligibility Form from the church where the sponsor currently attends (form available below under Useful Forms).
- Choose a Confirmation (Saint’s) Name (more information can be found below under Useful Forms).
- Write a letter indicating their desire to receive this Sacrament (more information can be found below under Useful Forms).
- Successfully pass the Confirmation Assessment (a study guide may be found below under Useful Forms).
- Take part in the Confirmation Interview.
- Participate in the Confirmation retreat with their chosen Confirmation sponsor, culminating with a Celebration of Election with their sponsor and family.
- Attend the Confirmation Rehearsal prior to the Confirmation Mass.
For more information, you may contact the Religious Education Office by phone 630-858-5646 or St. James the Apostle Catholic School at 630-469-8060 during business hours or you may send an inquiry email by firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will contact you with further information.